As the summer heat approaches, our appliances often work overtime to keep us comfortable and well-equipped. From air conditioners to refrigerators and everything in between, these essential machines play a significant role in our daily lives. To ensure they function optimally during the scorching summer months, it’s essential to perform some basic maintenance and adopt smart usage habits. In this blog article, we will share some valuable tips on how to keep your appliances running well in the summer, promoting efficiency, longevity, and peace of mind.
Air Conditioner Maintenance
Your air conditioner is undoubtedly the hero of summer, combating the sweltering heat to provide a comfortable indoor environment. To keep it running efficiently, follow these maintenance steps:
- Regular Filter Cleaning: Dust and debris can accumulate on the air conditioner’s filter, hindering airflow and reducing efficiency. Clean or replace the filters every 1-2 months.
- Coil Cleaning: The outdoor condenser coil and indoor evaporator coil can collect dirt over time. Schedule an annual professional cleaning to enhance cooling efficiency.
- Shade the Outdoor Unit: If possible, provide shade to the outdoor unit to prevent it from overheating and increase overall efficiency.
The refrigerator is the heart of the kitchen, and during summer, it works harder to keep your perishables fresh. To maintain its performance, follow these tips:
- Keep Coils Clean: Dust and debris on the refrigerator’s coils can cause it to work harder and consume more energy. Regularly vacuum and clean the coils at the back or underneath the unit.
- Check Door Seals: Ensure that the door seals are airtight. Loose or damaged seals can lead to cool air escaping, forcing the refrigerator to work harder.
- Optimal Temperature: Set your refrigerator’s temperature to around 37°F (3°C) and the freezer to 0°F (-18°C) for the best energy efficiency and food preservation.
- To ensure that the back of your refrigerator has proper air flow based on manufactures recommendations as excessive heat will cause premature failure
- Change the water filter as needed with an OEM filter. Do not replace it with a knock-off filter.
Washing Machine Care
With summer comes the inevitable increase in laundry, so it’s crucial to keep your washing machine in top shape:
- Clean the Filter: If your washing machine has a filter, clean it regularly to avoid clogs and improve water drainage.
- Balance the Load: Overloading the machine can strain the motor and reduce its efficiency. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for load capacity.
- Inspect Hoses Regularly: Check for any leaks or cracks in the hoses connecting the washing machine to the water supply. Replace them if necessary.
- Do Not overload your washer as it will cause the spin basket to warp. Keep doors/drawers open to prevent smell
As outdoor gatherings and barbecues become more frequent in the summer, your dishwasher will likely see more use. Keep it running efficiently with these tips:
- Check the Spray Arms: Ensure the spray arms are free from debris and can rotate properly for even water distribution.
- Use Energy-Saving Mode: Many dishwashers have an energy-saving mode that can reduce water and energy consumption during lighter loads.
By implementing these simple yet effective tips, you can ensure your appliances work seamlessly throughout the summer months. Regular maintenance not only enhances their performance but also extends their lifespan, saving you money in the long run. By caring for your appliances, you’re not only protecting your investment but also contributing to a greener, more sustainable future with reduced energy consumption. If you run into any problems, don’t hesitate to give Sarah’s Appliance Repair a call and let one of our experienced technicians take care of the rest! Stay cool and stress-free this summer by giving your appliances the care they deserve!